It's Finally shown!!
Nintendo has revealed that its NX Console will be a handheld, portable device that doubles up as a home console and be called the “Switch”!
Previously code-named NX, now named the Nintendo Switch, the device looks like a tablet computer with controllers that attach to its sides.
Analyst and most gamers feel that the device could be Nintendo’s “last shot” at selling a home console.
“The Wii U was a car crash, basically,” said Paul Jackson of the Ovum consultancy.
“They fudged the communication and confused everybody with the controller and what the screen was for.
“As a result it sold about a tenth of what the original Wii sold.”
So what he is saying in simple terms is that they f**ked up! They aim for the casual market but used marketing tactics that worked for hardcore gamers and it didn’t work! The reason being is that us hardcore gamers activity look for information about our hobby whereas causal gamer don’t so they need to be feed the information via marketing.
The Wii U destroyed in sales by Sony’s PS4 and Microsoft’s Xbox One, but Nintendo has enjoyed success with its handheld 3DS device.
The new Switch console can be seated in a dock to play games on a television, or used as a stand-alone portable device.
There’s no word on whether the Switch will be backward-compatible with the Wii U or other Nintendo systems, but most likely it won’t (the “Switch may not have a disc drive) and you’ll have to buy these games a second time from the Nintendo online store! The trailer included glimpses of games such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, a Mario Kart title, a Super Mario game and the Wii U title Splatoon. But Nintendo said it will announce the launch lineup and show game demos “prior to the March launch.”
Nintendo has announced that leading games studios and publishers such as Activision, Bethesda, EA Games, Sega, Ubisoft and Warner Brothers had signed up to produce software.
However, it yet to reveal the technical specifications of the device, but Nvidia confirmed that Switch uses a system-on-chip from its Nvidia Tegra family of products “based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards”, and a custom API.
The reason why Nintendo might have not released the information about the specs could be that it’s going to be very underpowered (just like the Wii was) compared to the current console and upcoming PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio But the official information will be released later (hopefully soon) and with the console released date estimated to be around March 2017.
Update From Rumour Mill
Hey Guys found some more rumoured information from arcadegirl64
“Disclaimer: Everything in this blog post is rumour until proven otherwise. Please take everything with a grain of salt.”
Here is what you can expect from the final retail product:
- Custom Nvidia GPU chip
- Region Free (No region lock)
- 3 hour battery life when no connect to unit
- Six inch (6.2 inch?) multi-touch screen (Heard nothing about a stylus)
- The touchscreen has 720p resolution.
- 32GB of built-in internal storage
- SD card support
- Supports USB 2.0 and 3.0
- The dock has two 2.0 usb ports and one 3.0 usb port.
- The portable device is around 14 – 15 mm in thickness.
- The right analogue stick (or circle pad?) will be below the face buttons.
- Camera and microphone are not built into/inside the NX portable device.
- Cooling is still a little noisy
- Detachable controllers (motion controls and next-gen vibration technology) <– Everything Laura Kate Dale said in her article was correct.
- Share / Social button that Laura Kate Dale posted is true.
- There are *at least* two shoulder buttons.
- Battery Life — Ehhh not great. I haven’t heard an exact number of hours, but it doesn’t sound great.
- Below PS4 and XB1 in raw power.
- Supports Unreal Engine 4 and Unity Engine.
- Toshiba, Megachips, and Macronix are all involved with the Nintendo NX.
- Toshiba is the world’s second-largest NAND chip maker after Samsung. They also manufactured the flash memory chips for the Nintendo 3DS.
- NX hardware is finalized. Don’t expect any drastic changes.
- NX is now entering a very early stage of production.
- Zero percent chance of NX being delayed from its March launch.
Note: I am not saying that NX won’t have a mic or camera. I am saying that the camera and mic aren’t built inside of the NX portable device. I’ve heard that the info in this blog post is close to the final retail product. Take all of the information with a grain of salt because this is just a rumour.
So what do you guys think? Are you excited to get your hands on the upcoming Switch or will Nintendo mess up again since they are aiming for the casual market? Leave your comments below and let’s have a discussion.