It’s that time of the year, we done with 2016 and now we are welcoming 2017 and it is an opportunity for us to reflect on our past success and challenges. It will also be the time of year where lots of us will be making new year’s resolution and one of the biggest will be get healthy, maybe to lose weight, quit smoking or drink less – but what’s the best way to stick to it?
Now new years resolution can be hit and miss but studies and psychologists have found we’re more likely to succeed if we break our resolution into smaller goals that are specific, measurable and time-based. So let’s go over the top 10:
Top 10 Goal-setting tips
- Make only one resolution. OK guys I know there will be the temptation to want to much but you have greater chances of success when you channel energy into changing just one aspect of your behaviour.Look for internal desire/wants to drive you.
- External factors such as it being new years can be useful as a trigger but will fade as times goes by, this is one of the main reason that so many people fail to keep their resolution/goal. So look for the reason why you want to get healthy and it’ll drive not just for the next few weeks, but for the whole year!
- Avoid previous resolutions. Deciding to revisit a past resolution sets you up for frustration and disappointment, so to help you keep a positive mindset try focusing on something new .
- Don’t run with the crowd and go with the usual resolutions. Instead think about what you really want out of life and what is important to you.
- Break your goal into a series of steps, focusing on creating sub-goals that are concrete, measurable and time-based. This will help you keep focused and but achieving smaller goal will help you reward yourself and keep going to the next sub-goal.
- Tell your friends and family about your goals. You’re more likely to get support and want to avoid failure. But be careful, not everyone will support your goals, maybe due to their own failures they are unable to see what possible. So create a support group of other positive people and work together.
- To stay motivated, make a checklist of how achieving your resolution will help you. Remember having the smaller goals will help you keep track!
- Give yourself a small reward whenever you achieve a subgoal, which will help to motivate you and give you a sense of progress. But remember rewards does not have to be a binge of food or drink, but something more positive like some new gym clothes!
- Make your plans and progress concrete by keeping a handwritten journal, completing a computer spreadsheet or covering a notice board with graphs or pictures. Remember visual cues can help you keep on track!
- Expect to revert to your old habits from time to time. Treat any failure as a temporary setback rather than a reason to give up altogether. Remember success is never straight road and the ability to bounce back is keep, so keep moving forwards!
So what do you guys think? what new years resolution will you be setting for yourself? what tips do you use to keep on track? Let us know and lets have conversation below.